[keycloak-user] Keycloak performance on Kubernetes

Tim Swift tswiftma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 14:34:40 EDT 2019

Hi,

For my portal config I have a Keycloak cluster running in a Docker
container deployed with  Kubernetes/Azure. Database is postgres (4 cores).
I am performance testing by using JMeter to get response times for a POST
to /auth/realms/(domain)/login-actions. Overall I'm not seeing very good
results:

Threads/Response (ms)
200/5009
400/7283
600/10065

I need to support up to 2500 concurrent logins (threads) and realistically
response time should be less than 5 seconds. When I run the tests the DB
utilization is low. I have tried the following but response times are still
fairly slow.

1. Add 3 additional keycloak pods to Kubernetes (result: small improvement
in response times)
2. Bump up CPU on keycloak pods (CPU was spiking during tests, but memory
usage fairly low)
3. Investigate Azure App Gateway usage (not an issue)

I'm running out of ideas now, how can I get Keycloak to handle more logins
with better response times? Thanks for any help.

Tim