[keycloak-user] register new user; redirect to specific client url

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Thu Sep 26 03:30:42 EDT 2019

Hi John,

On 25. 09. 19 17:57, John Norris wrote:
> Hi Marek,
> am I asking for something unusual here?

Yes, to be honest :) Or at least I can't recall any other similar
request in the past. I think most applications don't care if user is
brand new user, who was just registered or if it is the old keycloak
user. In OIDC protocol, there is "redirect_uri" sent in the initial
request and that is always where the Keycloak will redirect regardless
of whether there was user registered or just existing user
authenticated. I understand your use-case, however I don't think it's
very common.

To your particular problem, there should be solution as I mentioned
already. Either the event listener or parse the token in your
application and then decide if it's new user or existing user based on
"createdDate" claim. For more hints, I suggest to take a look at Spring
Boot 2 applications and our adapter quickstarts. There should be
something to show how to obtain token in your app and parse it. Adding
"createdDate" claim or something like this should be also possible.

Marek