[mod_cluster-dev] [Fwd: Re: releasing mod_cluster-1.0.0.Beta2]

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 12:06:36 EST 2008

Paul Ferraro wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 09:42 -0600, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> Paul Ferraro wrote:
>>> Forwarding to mod_cluster-dev list...

Your list sounds like enough to say put it in a later release. :)

> * Adding the lifecycle listener dynamically
> * Adding a dependency on ModClusterService/HAModClusterService (notice
> the new names...) to the WebServer MC bean.  This would mean that the
> user will have to manually remove "On Demand" from either the
> ModClusterService or HAModClusterService, since there will no longer be
> anything demanding its creation.

Hmm; points out a bit of conceptual ugliness. This is semi-OT, is my own
thinking, and is more a JBoss AS discussion than mod_cluster, so just
take it as food for thought.

IMHO, AS services shouldn't start until there is some end-user usage of
them. For example, why start JBoss Messaging until a queue or topic is
deployed?  This is conceptually easy enough to do; the JBM beans are "On
Demand" and the queue/topic deployer adds a dependency on JBM, so
deploying queue/topic demands JBM.

Same logic applies to JBoss Web.  In that case the infrastructure of a
deployer adding the dependency on JBoss Web to the war is already there.

But if you inject JBoss Web into ModClusterService and MCS isn't "On
Demand", now JBW will be started even if no war is deployed. A
workaround would be to make the war depend on MCS, but that's unnatural.

This is a bit non-real-world, since in most cases a war (jmx-console,
ROOT.war) will be deployed.  But in a "developer" AS config designed for
fast startup times, maybe not.

> * Moving jvmRoute to the mod_cluster config - and setting the engine
> property dynamically.

A year or two ago in another context I mentioned setting the jvmRoute
dynamically. Remy said it wouldn't work or was a bad idea; don't recall
the details. Somewhere in the Design of Tomcat Integration forum.