[mod_cluster-dev] Cycling a node or entire domain

jean-frederic clere jfclere at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 05:01:55 EST 2009

Bela Ban wrote:
> In mod-jk, we had the ability to disable and/or stop a worker. Disabling
> a wroker W meant that existing sessions would be served, but new
> sessions would not be created on W, until W was enabled again.
>
> I'd like to have the same capability in mod-cluster. It would be good to
> have
>
>    * this capability added to /mod_cluster-manager and possibly
>    * provide a script (in jboss/bin ?) which allows an admin to do the
>      same thing, e.g. "./disable-worker.sh node2" or "./disable-domain D3"

If you look to http://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-11425 we already
have the messages for that the -APP command with wildcard are for all
the contexts of the node.

> The functionality should include
>
>    * Disabling a worker W
>    * Stopping a worker W. Note that we can achieve this by shutting W
>      down, but 'stopping a worker' merely removes W from httpd's worker
>      list, but doesn't require a shutdown of W (W would also not
>      register with httpd at this point)
>    * Starting a worker W. The opposite of stopping W. Have W resume
>      registering with httpd
>    * Enabling a worker W. Allows for new sessions to be created on W

Of course any of those action would be overwritten in case a CONFIG
message or a -APP command with wild card is received from the cluster.

>    * Disabling / stopping / starting / enabling a domain D. Same as
>      above, but for all workers in a given domain D.
>    * It would be nice to be notified when all sessions in a disabled
>      domain have expired

That something which is not the MCM protocol, how should we handle a
CONFIG or any message from the cluster that affects a node belonging to
the domain?

> Can we create a JIRA to do this ?

Well I think we should discuss on the dev-list before.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic