[mod_cluster-dev] clustered mod_cluster?

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 05:39:09 EDT 2009

This doesn't work currently, as the apache mod-cluster instances don't
exchange information about their states, e.g. which sticky session is
routed to which worker.

No wait, I guess I'm wrong: they don't need to !

Say we have Apaches A1 and A2, and workers W1, W2 and W3.

If a client request hits A2 and A2 creates a new session on W3, then the
session id is going to be SESSION.W3. When the same client now hits A1,
A1 should actually also route the request to W3 ! This of course assumes
that all workers have registered with all Apache daemons.

So IMO we don't even need to exchange routing information between the
Apache daemons... can someone confirm this ?

This is with sticky session. If you turn this off, you can pick any
Apache to route your request, and the route will be different every
time. In this case, you'd have to use synchronous replication to prevent
potentially stale data between 2 requests for the same session going to
different workers.

With Infinispan and DIST, stale data shouldn't be an issue as the
routing is always based on the content (keys to be accesssed) rather
than a client's identity (session-id), and L1 caches should make things
fast, so data doesn't have to be fetched by one worker from another one.

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team