[mod_cluster-dev] updating JBoss AS with new Apache address instances without restart?

Marek Goldmann mgoldman at redhat.com
Mon Feb 1 05:43:22 EST 2010

Hi all,

I think that a JBoss AS restart after front-end address change is a very costly operation. Let's assume you have a few back-end's and one of your front-end crashed (we have two of them, after crash - one). Injecting new front-end address and restarting JBoss AS is not a very pretty solution IMHO, because we have a working front-end and we only want to start a new front-end backup.

Currently I'm injecting new front-end list via run.sh argument, this obviously requires JBoss restart after the list was changed.

Is there maybe a clean solution for that? I would love to have a file (preferably plain text) where I could put my instances list. Then mod_cluster scanner would periodically pick up this list and apply it, without restating JBoss AS. Is it possible?

Hint: maybe instead of front-end list in xml descriptor – a path to file with front-end list?

Thoughts?

--Marek