[mod_cluster-dev] Proposal for new project name

Paul Ferraro paul.ferraro at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 22:13:46 EDT 2016

Since the advent of Stuart's Undertow-based mod_cluster
implementation, we've discussed the need to rename the "mod_cluster"
project to better differentiate the general technology/protocol from
its origin as an Apache httpd module.  Trivial stuff like this never
feels urgent, but given that we've started a 2.x branch of the source
code, if we're ever going to change the name, we should do it soon.
This email is meant to formally start this discussion.

Personally, I would love to see the a new name loosely associated with
the word Undertow, ideally with a similar irony (i.e. undertow is
generally considered dangerous).

Here are some ideas for names, in the spirit of ocean/water-related phenomena:
* OverDrive (a literal antonym of Under+Tow)
* Overwash (the flow of water and sediment over a coastal dune or
beach crest during storm events)
* Backrush (the return of water seaward, down the foreshore of a
beach, following the uprush of a wave, i.e. the cause of an undertow)
* Uprush (a sudden upward surge or flow)
* FloodTide (Period when tide level is rising)
* TidalBore (a large wave caused by the funneling of a flood tide as
it enters a long, narrow, shallow inlet)
* TidalJet (fast-moving intrusion of water issuing from a narrow gap
through a physical barrier between two bodies of water)
* Upwell (to flow upward)
* RogueWave (exactly what it sounds like)
* Maelstrom (a powerful whirlpool in a sea or river)
* Levada (a portuguese aqueduct)
* Deluge (downpour of rain causing a flood)
* Diluviant (one who pertains to a flood)
* Gilgamesh/Bilgamesh (from the Epic of Gilgamesh, an ancient Sumerian
story describing one of the oldest great flood mythologies)

Of the above, my personal favorites are "Diluviant" and "Maelstrom".
Thoughts?  Any other ideas?

Paul