Feedback from a production Netty user

mrhodes at gmail.com mrhodes at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 15:25:17 EST 2009

Trustin and JBoss, thank you very much for producing this excellent library
that has allowed me to focus on my application while giving me the benefits
of NIO for "free" through an event-based programming model was a perfect
fit for my application. The app has been running in production since
November the 16th and allows us to maintain long-lived, stateful client
connections that communicate with each other in an asynchronous manner.

During our lab testing the library has displayed excellent performance
characteristics, allowing us to service >50k transactions/s from
approximately 30k connected clients on a commodity Intel server costing
approximately $850. Even at that throughput level we were bandwidth-, not
CPU-, limited on our server. In addition to the positive performance tests,
our JVM has not been restarted since the initial go-live.

We are currently using 3.0.0.CR4, when we do our next application release
we will certify with the latest GA release of the library.

Thanks,
Matt