Switched to Netty from Mina, Happier Now

Ryan Daum ryan at thimbleware.com
Thu Jun 11 09:47:00 EDT 2009

Hi there, I'm the maintainer of jmemcached
(http://thimbleware.com/projects/jmemcached), which is an open source Java
implementation of memcached, compatible with the memcached protocol.

Up until yesterday I was using Apache MINA 2. I spent the day yesterday
switching over to Netty. I must say I'm happier.

Things I liked:

   * Clearer documentation
   * A saner API in many places, with better defaults
   * More active development cycle.

After switching to Netty I had a 20% improvement in overall performance, and
the code was much simpler. Now, much of the improvement in performance may
have been because I had a chance to rewrite the decoder and likely produced
better code, but that is also a good argument for Netty...

Congratulations on running such a great project.

If anybody wants to check out my source code and offer criticisms and
contributions, I'd really appreciate that!

Thanks,

Ryan