How to handle exception in decoders/handlers?

infectedrhythms voodoo at videotron.ca
Fri Jun 19 13:42:17 EDT 2009

Hi, I have implemented a simple decoder and it works fine.

Now if there is an error I want to throw an exception catch and reply back
to the client, kind of like an HTTP 500 error.

So if the decoder fails it should write back to the client the error that
occurred.

	@Override
	protected Object decode(ChannelHandlerContext ctx, Channel channel,
ChannelBuffer buf) throws Exception {

		... do stuff here...

		throw new Exception("Errrorrrr!");
	}

	@Override
	public void exceptionCaught(ChannelHandlerContext ctx, ExceptionEvent e)
			throws Exception {

		super.exceptionCaught(ctx, e);

		e.getChannel().write("Damn it Jim!"); <-- Throws a ClosedChannelException

	}