HttpServer example blocking after 16384 requests

Sebastian Latza mail at sebastian-latza.de
Fri Jun 26 19:26:20 EDT 2009

Hi everybody,

I am toying around with the netty examples and ran into an issue with
the HttpServer. After 16384 requests (16 KB) from Apache Bench my
server stops accepting new requests for a while. After 30 sec. or so
it "recovers", taking another 16384. I'm guessing  that the threads
are not releasing the sockets properly for some reason, but I'm not
sure how to enforce this. Another reason could be os-related, but
again I am not sure which parameter to tune (max . files are 256) I'm
running Mac OS, 2GB Ram, Java 1.5.0_19, Netty 3.10.CR1

Any hints/pointers?

Regards
Sebastian