Netty usage in AS5 (shutdown hangs)

Bob McWhirter bmcwhirt at redhat.com
Tue Sep 1 20:46:59 EDT 2009

On Sep 1, 2009, at 7:57 PM, 이희승 (Trustin Lee) wrote:
> If a ChannelFactory is shared or there are any open connections left,
> you must not call releaseExternalResources() as it will result in
> resource leak, infinite loop, and so on.

Okay, in that case, instead of making the user of ChannelFactory do
reference-counting to determine if it's okay to shutdown, can we add a
stop() method to it?  This way, when it's undeployed by the MC, it'll
be automatically stopped.

Otherwise, it seems like it'd be hard to correctly use/shutdown the
ChannelFactory in netty.jar's own jboss-beans.xml, particularly if
multiple unrelated POJOs are using it to set up unrelated servers.

Or should I create and manage my ChannelFactories on a per-server basis?

> You also might want to take a look at the HornetQ code:

Cool, I'll do that.

	-Bob