HTTPS for HTTP Client

valodzka valodzka at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 15:01:43 EDT 2009

I'm trying to add https support to this example
http://jboss.org/file-access/default/members/netty/freezone/xref/3.1/org/jboss/netty/example/http/snoop/HttpClient.html.

As it states:
             // We can actually support HTTPS fairly easily by inserting
             // an SslHandler to the pipeline - left as an exercise.
So I've added this to HttpClientPipelineFactory
(http://jboss.org/file-access/default/members/netty/freezone/xref/3.1/org/jboss/netty/example/http/snoop/HttpClientPipelineFactory.html):
      SSLContext sslContext = SSLContext.getDefault();
      SSLEngine sslEngine = sslContext.createSSLEngine();
      sslEngine.setUseClientMode(true);

      pipeline.addFirst("ssl", new SslHandler(sslEngine));
And this this to client:
       ChannelFuture hf;
       try {
         hf =
channel.getPipeline().get(SslHandler.class).handshake(channel);
         hf.awaitUninterruptibly();
         if (!hf.isSuccess()) {
           System.out.println("Handshake fail: " + hf.getCause());
         }
         else {
           System.out.println("Handshake success!");
         }
       } catch (SSLException ex) {
         ex.printStackTrace();
       }

But for all https sites I've tried it fails:
           Handshake fail: java.nio.channels.ClosedChannelException
Any ideas?