Maximum transmission buffer size?

Iain McGinniss iainmcgin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 11:00:56 EDT 2009

Just a quick question, which should hopefully clarify an aspect of
Netty's philosophy for me. Say I have a network connection that is
capable of sending 64KB/s. I have an open TCP channel in Netty, and I
write to this channel at a rate of 128KB/s. This obviously results in
a growing queue of data at a rate of 64KB/s. Will Netty ever refuse to
enqueue my data for transmission, or discard any buffers passed to
write(), or will it eventually just throw a Java OutOfMemoryError,
when there is no more heap space left to store the queue of written
(but untransmitted) channel buffers?

Iain