Hwoto limit bandwith with Netty and NIO?

Matthias F. Brandstetter haimat at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 12:07:06 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I am writing a Java downloading app (client) which also supports
bandwith limitation/throttling; by now the application uses several
connections with only one worker thread for downloading data.

Now I want to switch to Netty because it looks mature and robust, also
it supports SSL which I want to feature in my application in a future
version. So I am now in rewriting my application to make its NIO
backend based on the Netty framework.

The only issue so far is that I don't know how I should implement
bandwith throttling with Netty. As told I used only one thread so far,
which made it quite easy to implement this feature. But how can I do
so with Netty and multiple Channels? Is there any built-in or "out of
the box" solution, or do I have to implement bandwith throttling
within my application for myself?

I could not find any relevant docs on this topic online, also a search
within the mailing list archive did not help me in finding a guide or
howto or documentation.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance!

Kind regards, Matthias

--
Matthias F. Brandstetter
haimat at gmail.com