Fwd: Patch update: netty-242

rzo rzo at gmx.de
Wed Jan 13 13:07:04 EST 2010

Hello,

The idea of this patch is to avoid the http overhead, thus reducing
communicaiton to a minimum.
You could extend this patch to run over http, but for that I would
recommend using the hessian servlet with tomcat.
I have not done benchmarks tomcat vs netty HttpDecoder, but tomcat is
very efficient, it supports NIO and APR
and implements all you need concerning security and authentication. With
netty you will have to implement it on your own.
A few years ago I benchmarked hessian rpc on jetty and tomcat and
decided to
go with tomcat.

Maybe dumb question: why http ? If you want asynchronous RPC you will
either need some asyncrhonous http on the
client side (for example:
http://docs.safehaus.org/display/ASYNCWEB/Home) you will need support
for asynchronous http,
which requires non-standard framework.