Worker threads in NioServerSocketChannelFactory vs. ExecutionHandler

Ersin Er ersin.er at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 17:03:12 EDT 2011

Well, I guess I could not ask the question the right way. Actually by
digging more into documentation and source code I think I understood the
difference. Anyway let me restate what I understood:

There are two types of "worker" thread pools in Netty. First one (set
in NioServerSocketChannelFactory
constructor ) is responsible for doing I/O operations and the second one
(added as a handler to the pipeline, namely ExecutionHandler) is responsible
for application logic. Right?

Thanks.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 17:52, "이희승 (Trustin Lee)" <trustin at gmail.com>wrote:

> The first one is used for boss threads and the second one is for worker
> threads.  A worker thread performs actual reads and writes.  A boss thread
> accepts a new incoming connection or makes a new connection attempt.  Once a
> new connection is accepted or a connection attempt succeeds, the new channel
> is handed off to one of the worker threads.  For now, there's no way to set
> the boss thread count.
>
> HTH

Ersin Er