Serving images over http using Netty

Drew Kutcharian drew at venarc.com
Tue Jun 21 00:51:38 EDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know what's the best way to serve images that are hosted in a document database using Netty.

I'm new to Netty and I started looking at the the HttpStaticFileServer, but I don't think that would be a good example since, it uses RandomAccessFile and does a lot of "file dependent" things.

I will only be sending small images, so I was thinking I can just read the whole byte[] from the DB and then use Netty to send it to the user.

What is the fastest/optimized way to do this? How should I configure Netty? What should I include in the pipeline? What kind of ServerSocketFactory and ThreadFactory should I use?

In addition, how should I handle the database connection?

Thanks,

Drew