HOW TO: Use Netty for port-sharing within Tomcat6?

bderemer bob.deremer at thingworx.com
Wed Jun 29 12:12:43 EDT 2011

Netty Gurus:

I've scoured the net and these forums for information on how to use Netty
for port sharing within the context of a Tomcat Servlet-based web
application process.  While there's alot of discussion, there still doesn't
appear to be any solutions [YET].

What I need to do is the following:

* receive both HTTP and XMPP traffic on a single port [either 80 or 443 -
depending on security configuration]
* route the HTTP traffic to Tomcat's HTTP Connector [or sub-processing
component] if possible
* route the XMPP to an embedded Vysper server
* ALL running in the context of a single Tomcat Server process

This will enable us to leverage the power/investment in our servlet
infrastructure and Vysper XMPP all together without having to open multiple
ports.

If this is possible in either Tomcat 6 or Tomcat 7, please let me know how I
should go about this.

If this is [not] possible today, but COULD be done by:
* doing some custom extensions in Tomcat (i.e. custom Tomcat connector that
uses Netty)
* or, some other approach ???
please advise on how you would recommend achieving our goal.

Thanks in advance,
Bob