Message size and Performance

Nicholas Hemley nic.hemley at sidonis.com
Mon May 16 09:08:23 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have been performing testing on two local machines connected by a Gigabit
Ethernet to see the max message rate for the machine configuration and have
come up with some interesting results.

Basically, the larger the message size, the lower the event rate.

Some sample event rates are shown below:

Message size: 142K, 348K events/sec

Message size: 2048K, 52K events/sec

As you can see, this is a significant difference at higher message sizes.

At first, I thought this could be due to a mal-configured receive buffer,
but on further reading I found that the default receive buffer is
AdaptiveReceiveBufferSizePredictor and so this shouldn't be a problem since
it adapts up to 65K.

So am I doing something out of the ordinary/wrong here, please?

Previous referenced threads on this topic:

http://www.jboss.org/netty/community.html#nabble-td4461124

Cheerio,

Nic Hemley