Netty codecs have "protected" method preventing easy reuse outside pipeline

Abraham Menacherry abrahammenacherry at gmail.com
Thu May 19 09:34:58 EDT 2011

Christian,

Thanks for quick reply. I am not very clear with the answer, do you mean
that I should subclass each codec? If so, I am planning to use a number of
codec's from Netty, not just StringEncoder/Decoder and sub classing each one
just because of this "protected" looks a bit of overkill to me. Did you mean
something else? Could you provide an example?

I am assuming that this change is actually trivial to the api, since the
move is from protected to public, it shouldn't break anything.

Thanks,
Abraham.