[resteasy-dev] feedback please [RESTEASY-1463] cleanup bld warnings generics

Rebecca Searls rsearls at redhat.com
Tue Aug 2 11:15:08 EDT 2016

The resteasy code base generates 228+ compile time "unchecked" warnings related to generics usage.
I don't think our builds should be polluted with un-addressed warnings, because it makes it hard to
easily spot real build issues.  I have cleaned up these warnings by code adjustments where possible
and the @SuppressWarnings annotation where code should not or can not be changed.

Please take a few minutes to review the 8 files (listed below) with code changes.  It is helpful
to have other eyes confirm my changes will not break anything before I submit a pull requst
https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy/compare/master...rsearls:resteasy-1452-cleanup-bld-warnings-generics?expand=1

The 228+ warnings are spread across 88 files.  79 of the 88 files have only a
@SuppressWarnings annotation added to them.

The first 8 files below have code changes to address the warnings.

The last file only has a test addition.  It is related to the compiler warnings
only in that the processing of Character and char have the compiler warning.
It seemed like a good idea to add a test for these datatypes.

resteasy-jaxrs/src/main/java/org/jboss/resteasy/spi/metadata/ResourceBuilder.java
  ## Made inner class declarations more correct in generics stmt

providers/resteasy-atom/src/main/java/org/jboss/resteasy/plugins/providers/atom/Content.java
providers/resteasy-atom/src/main/java/org/jboss/resteasy/plugins/providers/atom/Entry.java
providers/resteasy-atom/src/main/java/org/jboss/resteasy/plugins/providers/atom/Text.java
resteasy-jaxrs/src/main/java/org/jboss/resteasy/specimpl/ResteasyHttpHeaders.java
resteasy-jaxrs/src/main/java/org/jboss/resteasy/util/HttpServletRequestDelegate.java
resteasy-jaxrs/src/main/java/org/jboss/resteasy/util/ParameterParser.java
testsuite/unit-tests/src/test/java/org/jboss/resteasy/test/util/UriBuilderTest.java

testsuite/unit-tests/src/test/java/org/jboss/resteasy/test/util/TypeConverterTest.java
  ## added test for Character and char types.