[resteasy-dev] HttpClient question

Ron Sigal rsigal at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 21:01:43 EDT 2016

Hi Rebecca,

I finally figured out my problem with respect to RESTEASY-1484
"CVE-2016-6346: Abuse of GZIPInterceptor in can lead to denial of
service attack". I want to impose a maximum size on the file that gets
unzipped, and I was having a problem when the payload was going from
server to client. It turns out that, by default, HttpClient will deflate
a gzipped payload, so, by the time Resteasy gets it, it's already
unzipped. That behavior can be turned off with:

>     protected HttpClient createDefaultHttpClient()
>     {
>         final HttpClientBuilder builder = HttpClientBuilder.create();
>         RequestConfig.Builder requestBuilder = RequestConfig.custom();
>         if(defaultProxy != null)
>         {
>             requestBuilder.setProxy(defaultProxy);
>         }
>         builder.disableContentCompression();  // <<===
>         builder.setDefaultRequestConfig(requestBuilder.build());
>         return builder.build();
>     }

Do you see any problem with that?

Thanks,
Ron

--
My company's smarter than your company (unless you work for Red Hat)