[rules-dev] Rules Modelling with UML

giurca at TU-Cottbus.De giurca at TU-Cottbus.De
Thu Apr 5 09:12:27 EDT 2007

Hi all,

On Tue, Apr 3, 2007, Diouf Mouhamed <diouf at labri.fr> said:

> Hi,
> The OMG Production Rule Represation (PRR) aims to standardize a business
> rule formalism independently of any rule engine. The OMG PRR is at the
> Platform Independent Level (PIM) of the Model Driven Architecture (MDA)
> will offer a MOF instance of a rule formalism (UML). The OMG has
> requested a proposal until 2003 and at this moment no real submission
> exist. As related work, the Rule Interchange Format (RIF) exist at the
> W3C. The W3C work on rule formalsm is planed in 2 phases. The first
> phase will be terminated in November 2007. Before OMG PRR and W3C RIF
> other tentatives have existed like RuleML, Common Rules (IBM)  Simple
> Rule (ILOG).
> Actually it does not exist any standard rule formalism in UML
When you say standard you probably refer to OMG or?
and this
> make late the adoption of business rule approach because you have note a
> flexible way to migrate your rules into another rule engine format (loke
> JRules to JBoss Rules or JBoss Rules to Jess and so one).
I am interested in any available interchange system/translator. Are you
aware about such software? Can you indicate a trial or demo?

I suggest you to consult the REWERSE I1 Working Group web page
(http://oxygen.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/rewerse-i1/ ). Here you'll find:
1. A visual language for modeling rules, URML
(http://oxygen.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/rewerse-i1/?q=URML )
2. An interchange format, R2ML
(http://oxygen.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/rewerse-i1/?q=R2ML).
3. A number of translators for rule interchange
(http://oxygen.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/rewerse-i1/?q=translators )
4. A web Service for rules interchange
(http://oxygen.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/rewerse-i1/?q=ws )
5. A visual modeling tool Strelka
(http://oxygen.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/rewerse-i1/?q=strelka)
> In a project what we have done is to create our one rule formalism in
> UML and uses models transformation to transforme our rules to the
> selected rule engine.
Can you help me on that? I am very interested in this formalism.
> Mouhamed Diouf

All the best,
Adrian Giurca