[rules-dev] JBRMS question - originally posted to FMeyer

Michael Neale michael.neale at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 03:54:25 EDT 2007

Hi Steve (/me is coming up for some air, thought I would have a look on the
mailing lists !).

I assume you are talking about data driven enumerations - so basically
"somewhere" you have a list of values, and that is provided to users as a
drop down (plus validated etc).

This is useful for GUI stuff, but also (potentially) helpful for indexing
for performance (but thats for another day).

There is a JIRA for this, for v2 of the BRMS:
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBRULES-821 would be great if you could
put your thoughts down there.

I think ILog calls these "domains" - I like the term "value domain" or
something like it.

In any case, I think a variety of sources need to be provided for this: so
the list of values could be part of the "ontology" (the fact model, more to
come on that later) - ie some attribute of the package definition specifies
a list of value. OR, perhaps it comes from an external source, like a flat
file, or a database query - eg you may have some external database with Part
Numbers for a Widget (!) - those part numbers may change from time to time,
so it should periodically refresh the list.

One extra feature is to be able to have name/value lists - so the name is
shown, but the value applies - say you may want to display a human readable
description of the part number, but the rule only cares about the value from
the database.

My $0.02.

Michael.