[rules-dev] BRMS: Locking

Darko IVANCAN ivancan at gmx.de
Thu Nov 22 06:19:38 EST 2007

JBoss AS 4.0.5

JBoss Drools 4.0.3
JDK 1.5.13

Hi,

I'm evaluating JBoss Drools and wanted to check the locking capabilities
in the BRMS, to see it the BRMS can be used on a cluster, i.e. multiple
BRMSs one DB-Server.

So I started first on one single machine, just to check the locking
capabilities:
Started BRMS, logged in using FireFox and Logged in using Safari.
1) Open one (and the same) rule in both session
2) edit and save rule in one session
3) edit and save rule in another session
=> error

So, from what I see there is no locking mechanism in the BRMS.
As from what I see in JackRabbit, it does support transactions, but
locking seems to be needed in the BRMS itself, i.e. one layer above
JackRabbit.

My question, and maybe someone can answer/confirm these spending some of
his valuable minutes:
1) Is locking included or on the roadmap ?
2) Did I miss a configuration parameter to enable locking ?
3) How can stale-locks be cleaned ? Admin-only?

Thanks a lot for your valuable input and thanks for this great product,
Darko Ivancan