[rules-dev] Final take on performance .

Harsh Jetly Harsh.Jetly at lntinfotech.com
Mon Aug 18 02:50:56 EDT 2008

Hi ,
I have been given an assignment to show case the situation where the
performance of a rule engine will be better than java code .

My first question is ; Is this possible ?

What I had done earlier was I sent an arraylist and I used the 'from'
clause , like Mark pointed out for the 'from' statement pure iteration
happens and the index is not created .

So what I have done now  is create a scenario where I insert about 20,000
objects and have 20 rules (each rule has 2 alpha nodes ) . I do the same
with java code (if-elses) and the java code wins this competition hands
down .

Is there a breakthrough point where the rule engine performs as well as the
java code or even better ?

Appreciate it

Harsh