[rules-dev] Re: AlphaNodeCompiler

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Sun Jan 13 18:46:03 EST 2008

Michael Neale wrote:
> Nice - will this be JIT like the extractors - or will it be part of
> the compiler step?
>
> I think the ASM bit is harder then you think though. If its in
> compiler MVEL templating plus compiling can be used, but obviously not
> if it is JIT in the core (in which case, yes, ASM is needed, but
> fiddly to do and get right - will take a while to flush out all the
> invalid class errors).
Yes the idea is to JIT it - and ASM is never easy :) but the end result
here would be worth while. I'm just showing the algorithm itself isn't
hard, including keeping alpha node hashing.

So the original AlphaNode network exists but we compile each
ObjectType's network into a class and attach that to the ObjectTypeNode
and propagate into that instead. If the ObjectTypeNode or any of it's
alpha nodes become dirty from a rule add/remove we drop the class for
that ObjectType and rebuild it.