[rules-dev] documentation

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Sat Jun 14 08:27:11 EDT 2008

Geoffrey De Smet wrote:
> I am kinda favor in one big Drools "reference manual" (this is the
> term coined by hibernate, spring and seam)
> It follows the structure you just outlined:
> - part expert
> - chapter 1 expert-intro
> - chapter 2 expert-foo
> - part flow
> - chapter 3 flow-intro
> - chapter 4 flow-bar
> - ...
The drools 4.0.x manual was already way too big and off putting for
people, so it had to be reduced in one way or another. Basically if the
manual is too big, people get lazy and end up bombarding the mailing
lists or irc. The other reason is that we will be having people come
from other disciplines, so someone coming from workflow does not want to
be scared off by being bombarded rules information, so they need a book
that comes from their angle, before easing into other points.

> The advantage of this that you can choose to view it as single_html
> and use ctrl-F in firefox to find what you're looking for.
>
> The hibernate guys decided to separate the classic, annotations and
> entitymanager:
> as a user I 've found this annoying, because I often find myself
> having to ctrl-F on all single_html's before I find a solution (or I
> realize it's not in the manuals).
>
> For example: I consulted the manual for
> "Does hibernate support a way to prefix all @Table names with "foo_"?"
> So I started in annotations, because of the @Table: nothing there.
> Next I looked in entitymanager, because it's general configuration:
> nothing there.
> So hibernate doesn't support it.
> A few hours later I decided to check the hibernate classic manual too
> - just in case - and I came across NamingStrategy, which does exactly
> what I want...
Yes this is definitely a concern, we'll have to try and make sure we
address that while writting it. However I think our case is slightly
different there as hibernate annotations is an addon, where as
drools-flow could be treated as a completely separate project and you
can use it without ever having to know about rules.