[rules-dev] Licensing impact on BRMS 2.0 due to Ext JS library moving from LGPL to GPL?

Shahad Ahmed shahad.ahmed2 at gmail.com
Wed May 7 11:35:20 EDT 2008

The front-end of the BRMS destined for Drools 5 appears to use the GWT-EXT
library, which in turn requires the Ext JS library. However, one of my
colleagues has pointed out that as of April 21st 2008, the EXT JS library is
now licensed under GPL (v3), whereas prior to this it was licensed under
LGPL.

I don't know too much about licensing, but isn't this going to have an
impact on the final Drools 5.0 licensing? From the little I know about
licensing, if you use a GPL library (ext-core.js etc in the BRMS) then any
derived code (e.g.. Drools) can only be distributed under GPL as well,
so Drools couldn't be distributed under Apache 2 anymore?

Its a bit bonkers of EXT JS to suddenly change a license from LGPL to GPL
and there is definitely a "heated" debate going on in the GWT-EXT and other
forums. I hope it's appropriate to post this on the dev list, and apologies
if not.

Regards
Shahad