[rules-dev] GuvnorEditor refactoring

Jervis Liu jliu at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 20:40:38 EDT 2009

Michael Neale wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Looking at a refactoring of the Guvnor Editor stuff to make it more
> "pluggable" so others can more easily create and reuse editors for
> given artifact types (file types).
>
> Really in principle is is simple, and close to what we have now:
>
> * An editor is responsible for showing a given artifact type.
> * An editor will be launched by guvnor when someone wants to view that file type
> * An editor can implement certain interfaces in which case it can be
> injected with events/other things it may need automatically
> * All editors will subclass GuvnorEditor
> * An editor registry (currently EditorLauncher which is hardcoded)
> will not what opens what etc...
>
> See attached sketch on how this may work...
>
> The benefits mean that editors can be very loosely coupled.
>
> Thoughts ?

Great idea! One question, how do we plug a new editor into Guvnor? Does
this process require the recompiling and rebuilding of guvnor.war? It
would be nice if an user can just write a new custom editor then build
and package the new editor in his/her own environment then drop the new
editor into Gunvor's deployment dir without changing the guvnor.war.
This will provide great flexibility to users who want to  extend Guvnor
with their own file types (artifact types).