[rules-dev] DSL expansion: ready for commit

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Wed Dec 15 05:14:35 EST 2010

On 15/12/2010 09:38, Wolfgang Laun wrote:
> Constraining the scope of applicable when-fragment might be added on
> top of the current DSL syntax, providing a compatible migration path.
> Notice that constraining the scope is similar to the rule attribute
> "auto-focus", but unqualified entries may have to remain active
> throughout.
>
> Expansion will have to be able to handle insertions not only for the
> last preceding pattern but also to other parenthesized condition
> phrases, e.g. eval, forall, etc.
Previously DSLs had tried to look like natural text, even in a text
file, with DRL freely mixed in. But I think most people who are using
DSLs would probably use them with tooling ontop, such as the guided
editor. As such I think it's ok to separate DSL and DRL, and maybe use
more control characters if it makes things easier. So the idea that a
DRL and DSL can be interchanged freely and almost invisibly in the same
file does not need to be dogma - going forward we need to do what is
best to keep the two approaches maintainable and extensible.

I'd even be tempted to say that DSLs could use a complete different
underlying language, such as lisp or some other document centric
language, becaus the tooling can always re-present that in a user
friendly way. Just some food for thought :)

Mark