[rules-dev] Dropping Maven 2 for Gradle?

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Sun Jul 11 19:03:23 EDT 2010

  On 11/07/2010 23:55, Michael Neale wrote:
> I think you mean gradle - but yes, that makes sense.
>
> There were others I was fond of - buildr was one - as far as I know,
> the nice things about all these "alternative" tools is that they at
> the least reuse the maven repositories and meta data - so it isn't
> starting from scratch.
>
> As a consumer of libraries, I like having declarative dependencies, no
> matter what my build system is, so that is a good thing.
>
> I think the drools build is pretty much as complex as hibernate - more
> so even - drools has a few stand alone components that have quite
> fiddly build steps (which still probably aren't fully automated),
> things like GWT, building cut down app servers etc... so it is worth
> watching closely how hibernate do.
>
> Myself - I know that MarkP has struggled for years with maven, and won
> most battles - so the day I see mark switch to gradle/whatever, is the
> day I would probably switch.
Build systems can suck time like nothing else, I've wasted so much time
in the past. So in general the less time I spend working on the build
the better, and at the moment it's not taking up a lot of time, so I
have to get a strong itch to swap one pain for another ;)

We will be splitting up the build going forward, so we'll see how much
pain we go through there and whether it creates a strong enough itch.

Mark