[rules-dev] Exception in runtime

Michael Neale michael.neale at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 00:37:59 EDT 2010

yes, they do have an excuse. It is a fairly dubious choice of words, even
back in 1.2 time - even in the 80's concurrent computing was known to
involve, well, temporal concurrency - what the library designers users the
term for is something quite different.

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Greg Barton <greg_barton at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In defence of the java library designers, at the time when the ConcurrentModificationException
> was introduced (java 1.2) the java.util.concurrent package was three
> versions away from existence.  :)
>
> GreG
>
> On Jun 22, 2010, at 6:11 PM, Michael Neale <michael.neale at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> FYI - ConcurrentModificationException is the most misleading exception name
>  ever !!! - it never really means what you think it means - it means you
> were modifying some collection while dealing with its iterator or similar -
> doesn't even need to be more than one thread. How annoying !
>
> So mentally, replace ConcurrentModificationException with
> "ModifyingACollectionWhileIteratingException" ! Or else, like me, waste
> years of your life fretting about threading issues only to realise that
> isn't the problem (and its usually something far simpler).
>

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Mauricio Salatino < <salaboy at gmail.com>
> salaboy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you inserting facts from different threads in a statefull session?
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:21 AM, < <Tom.E.Murphy at wellsfargo.com>
>> Tom.E.Murphy at wellsfargo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Anybody have any ideas on this?
>>>
>>> We are seeing ConcurrentModificationException while inserting objects
>>> into working memory. This happens occasionally, either at service start-up,
>>> where the first transaction is being submitted and the rules are loading for
>>> the first time, or sometimes under heavy loads with lots of transactions
>>> being processed by the service:
>>> Drools 5.0.1-GA
>>> AS: Web Logic
>>> JVM: 1.5
>>>
>>> Fragment of stack trace:
>>> Caused by: java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
>>> java.util.HashMap$HashIterator.nextEntry(HashMap.java:2117)
>>> java.util.HashMap$ValueIterator.next(HashMap.java:2147)
>>> org.drools.reteoo.EntryPointNode.updateSink(EntryPointNode.java:285)
>>> org.drools.reteoo.ObjectTypeNode.attach(ObjectTypeNode.java:279)
>>>
>>> org.drools.reteoo.builder.PatternBuilder.attachObjectTypeNode(PatternBuilder.java:234)
>>> org.drools.reteoo.ClassObjectTypeConf.<init>(ClassObjectTypeConf.java:93)
>>>
>>> org.drools.common.ObjectTypeConfigurationRegistry.getObjectTypeConf(ObjectTypeConfigurationRegistry.java:58)
>>>
>>> org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.insert(AbstractWorkingMemory.java:849)
>>>
>>> org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.insert(AbstractWorkingMemory.java:788)
>>>
>>> org.drools.impl.StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl.insert(StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl.java:216)
>>> com.wellsfargo.ARGenT.Execution.DefaultLoader.Load(DefaultLoader.java:16)
>>>

>>> *Tom Murphy
>>>
>>> *Business Process Consultant
>>> Wells Fargo HCFG - CORE Deal Decisioning Platform
>>>
>>> 800 S. Jordan Creek Parkway | West Des Moines, IA 50266
>>> MAC: X2301-01B
>>> Office: 515 324 4853 | Mobile: 515 423 4334
>>>
>>>  <tom.e.murphy at wellsfargo.com>tom.e.murphy at wellsfargo.com
>>>
>>> This transmission may contain information that is confidential and/or
>>> proprietary. If you are not the individual or entity to which it is
>>> addressed, note that any review, disclosure, copying, retransmission, or
>>> other use is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in
>>> error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from
>>> your system.

>> --
>> - CTO @ <http://www.plugtree.com>http://www.plugtree.com
>> - MyJourney @ <http://salaboy.wordpress.com>http://salaboy.wordpress.com