[rules-dev] soundslike broken

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 11:54:18 EDT 2010

The implementation of "soundslilke" is broken in more than one respect. The
conversion of a word to a Soundex string is provided by
org.mvel2.util.Soundex.
(.) There are words where Soundex.soundex returns null, so that the calling
code, in Drools, crashes with a NPE.
(.) The algorithm implemented in Soundex is erroneous. I'm not sure which
Soundex algorithm it is supposed to implement, but it just doesn't meet the
basic requirements.

I have implemented, correctly, the version for the National Archives and
Records Administration (NARA) rule set for the official implementation of
Soundex used by the U.S. Government.

Do we wait for MVEL to correct this bug, or do we just replace it with a
correct implementation?

Regards
Wolfgang