[rules-dev] Syntax diagrams by antlr broken

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:29:58 EDT 2010

I discovered that antlrworks-1.4.jar is capable of producing syntax
diagrams, and I ran the modified DRL grammar through it.

The result is disappointing:

   - eps output is broken: boxes are empty, texts are somewhere outside. (I
   could fix this, but then it would suffer from the same problems as jpg/png -
   see below.)
   - jpg, png aren't useful, because

   1. There is no wrapping of wide diagrams.
   2. keywords (e.g. 'package') are represented as a sequence of single
   letter terminals, which looks terrible (and produces even wider diagrams).
   3. Lines overlap in certain cases, which is confusing.

-W