[rules-dev] Fwd: [gwt-contrib] Re: Future of CellTable

Michael Anstis michael.anstis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 16:43:05 EDT 2011

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John LaBanca <jlabanca at google.com>
Date: 19 April 2011 21:39
Subject: Re: [gwt-contrib] Re: Future of CellTable
To: google-web-toolkit-contributors at googlegroups.com

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Jeff Larsen <larsenje at gmail.com> wrote:

> John, can you elaborate what
>
>    - Expandable rows (really, a fully customizable table builder, probably
>    post GWT 2.3)
>
> means?
>
> I'm currently working on adding groupability to a copy of celltable and its
> hierarchy. Will the fully customizale table builder be the solution I'm
> looking for?

The idea with TableBuilder is that you can build a CellTable with any table
structure, using row spans, column spans, and Cells wherever you want.  I
haven't even started on the API, but at a high level, you will be given a
row value and a TableBuilder, and you render 0 or more rows that represent
the value into the TableBuilder.  In the simplest case, you render a single
row with some columns, each containing one Cell that maps to a field in the
row value.  However, you can do any of the following:

   - Create "expandable rows" by rendering multiple rows to represent the
   row value and index all but the first row
   - Insert a group header by making the first row span all columns
   - Create an error row beneath the rendered row to display an error
   - Insert multiple Cells within a column

I working on the fixed headers now, so I won't even begin work on
TableBuilder until May, with a goal to finish by the end of June.