[rules-dev] Backwards chaining: the difference between input and output variables

Michael Anstis michael.anstis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 05:25:07 EDT 2011

@ge0ffrey,

*you* know "looc" is a typo, but "loc" could equally be an unused bound
variable and "looc" an unused output value.

I find it difficult to see there is sufficient "context" to give a suitable
error message - other than perhaps warning of unused bindings.

@wolfgang,

Your proposition works for slotted parameters; whereas the ";" allowed for
positional parameters too.

AFAIK the BC changes bring two discrete features: BC and positional
parameters.

@all

I've expressed my "simpleton" view on how, as a user, I would best
understand its operation.

It isn't based upon science or a wealth of experience with a multitude of
other programming languages; just a "feeling" of what I consider right.

Being just a "feeling" I am happy to watch this discussion evolve and learn
from others' experience.

With kind regards,

Mike