[rules-dev] else

Edson Tirelli ed.tirelli at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 10:03:09 EDT 2011

   Mark,

   The [] syntax for the labels will clash with the sequencing syntax we've
been discussing. Possibly {} or a unique separator:

{else1} A()

else1 := A()

else1 ?= A()

   Considering that Patterns can also take bindings, probably {} is more
distinct:

{else1} a : A()

   My vote:

when
    {else1} Person( name == "darth" ) // works on patterns
    A()
    {else2} B()
then
otherwise.else1
otherwise.else2
end

   Will we support unlabeled "else" as well?

when
    A() and B()
then
otherwise
end

   If so, what will be the semantics of it? What happens if an A() is
inserted but not B()? vice-versa? What happens if C() is inserted?

   Regarding inline "consequences", at the moment I am not really a fan of
it. I think it complicates the syntax unnecessarily at this point but I can
be convinced. The support to else by itself is a big step forward as you
know users frequently ask for that.

   My .02c.

   Edson

  Edson Tirelli