[rules-dev] Constraint efficiency: (was: "New in 5.2.0" - What works, what doesn't?)

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Mon May 9 12:57:17 EDT 2011

On 9 May 2011 15:56, Mark Proctor <mproctor at codehaus.org> wrote:

>  On 09/05/2011 12:40, Wolfgang Laun wrote:
>

> But the following does not permit indexing:
>   <any RHS expression from above> == <fieldname>
>
> I don't understand this question as there is no join process in the RHS,
> and thus no possible indexing.

I thought that a very simple transformation could fold this back into
    <fieldname> == <any RHS expression from above>

If the "indexable" forms can be detected by checking the 1st operand and the
operator, surely the same is possible for testing the 2nd operand, followed
by swapping operands.

Example:
   Person( name == "Fred" )
same as
   Person( "Fred" == name )

But I don't think that this is an important feature - just wanted to make
sure what is, and what is not carried over from legacy.

Thanks
Wolfgang