[rules-dev] Project Idea - Guvnor Refactoring

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Sun May 22 19:37:54 EDT 2011

Eclipse refactoring can work in headless mode. We already have some code
to analyse drls and get used classes and fields.
1) store all used classes and fields in a database
2) when a class refactoring is attempted use the database in 1) to
select all the potentially impacted files and put them into a headless
eclipse project
3) apply the refactoring and show the results to the user who may
decline/accept(with commit comments) them. Accepting them results in
each changed file being committed and the version increased.
4) allow additional work hooks, like deployment migration
wizards/scripts to know what has changed as part of that patch.

Any volunteers?

I think the used fields currently only works on direct field accessors,
bonus points will be needed to analyse expressions to also get the used
classes and fields.

Simples :)