[rules-dev] Drools XML Language and Tools Development

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Tue Jan 10 18:39:11 EST 2012

Rule base systems typically had simple languages. Data structures where
either list or frames, the number of constructs are very limited.
Complex expressions, such as nested accessors did not exist - like with
Drools 3.0. That made it very easy to support a 1 to 1 mapping in xml.

Around Drools 4 out langauge become more expression, we started to allow
complex expresisons inside of patterns. In Drools 5.3 that is even more
so. It quickly became obvious that xml representation fo drools would
also need a representation for java expressions, this was going to be a
lot of work - especially as we would probably have to change a lot of
the existing xml.

It seems very few people are using the xml, certainly no one seemed to
care about it. Xml parsers and schemas is something that every java
developer can do, but no one has come forward maintain this. So we've
let it die.

I'm not sure I'd want to resurrect it, for a one of piece of work.  It's
likely the maintainenance of this would soon fall back on the core
developers.

I think  I'd rather see xml efforts around RuleML and/or RIF. So imho if
you want to do anything, do it around those. The downside is that
representing our more powerful constructs like sliding time windows may
not be possible in those languages, and you would need to define extensions.

Mark