[rules-dev] Maven Project Structure

Justin Holmes justinmichaelholmes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:49:49 EST 2012

Hello Devs,

I'm currently working on a project where I'm embedding Drools inside my
application and using Maven to pull down the necessary artifacts. During
this exercise, I've noticed that each project's pom (e.g. drools-core)
references an aggregator pom (e.g drools-multiproject) as its parent. These
aggregators then reference droolsjbpm-parent as their parent. I'm no maven
expert, but it seems to me that this introduces an unnecessary layer of
artifacts in the maven repository. My understanding is that aggregators are
present solely to propagate build commands to their children and do not
contain dependency information (as is the case in the Drools aggregators),
so shouldn't the project poms reference droolsjbpm-parent directly?

Thanks,

Justin