[rules-dev] Request for Community Release of drools-core-5.1.2 with fix from JBRULES-3630

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Thu Sep 27 22:40:52 EDT 2012

We are happy to release your patch in our next community release, which will be 5.5. Our product team would be happy to patch this for you against our product maintenance branches, but for this you need a subscription.

Patch releases for maintenance on older versions  is an important part of Red Hat business model. Without this business model we could not hire the 20 core R&D engineers and additional 11 QA engineers that we do, while maintaining all of our code as 100% open source.

Large open source projects are not free; someone has to pay those salaries. To release your patch against 5.1 would take many man days of effort - someone has to pay for that. Further it would reduce the perceived value we provide through our subscription model.

I'd urge you to read this page, for a better understanding of what I'm saying:
http://blog.athico.com/2011/04/drools-jbpm-community-versus-product.html

Everything we do is up on github. If you are unable to purchase a support subscription, and really need 5.1.x patched, you can fork github and maintain your own branch there for the 5.1.x series.

Mark