[rules-dev] Trying to develop RuleML (LegalRuleML) XML language for Drools

Davide Sottara dsotty at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 11:30:52 EST 2014

Tom, timely request!
I am investigating the specific problem even as we speak, for a research
we're doing with Monica Palmirani. As Mark said, there is no support yet,
but just for lack of time, but investigating.

Given its nature and the execution semantics, Drools would be a more likely
candidate for Reaction RuleML rather than Deliberation RuleML. However,
LegalRuleML is my target as of today.
In fact, Mark and I are building capabilities (defeasibility, modalities,
metadata in general, plans for
a new fact model) that would support the semantics of (Legal)RuleML.

As for the translation itself, what we typically do is parse the XML
document using JaxB to create
an OO typed AST. Then, we visit the AST and use rule templates to
instantiate the DRL which
can be consumed by the engine.

If you are interested, we could collaborate.
Best
Davide