[rules-users] High Performance Rules Environment

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Thu Aug 2 10:02:42 EDT 2007

    Robert,

    This is a very complex evaluation to do, since most of the published
benchmarks will give you different results for the same rules engine. :)
Also, the first and third links you listed bellow, all refer to Drools
2.xseries that were not Rete complete implementations. Just to show
you the
difference between drools 2.x and 3.x, check this:

http://blog.athico.com/2006/11/rush-hour-and-content-based-routing.html

    Drools 4.x is even faster for complex rules scenarios with lots of
partial matches.

    The testimonies though are good for you to check out as they are recent
testimonies.

    Best thing to do would be, if possible, to build a prototype with a use
case closer to what you need and check the numbers out. We are sure that on
a face to face performance comparison, you will be pleasant surprised with
the power of the Drools rules engine.

    If you need help on the prototype, just mail the list, or if you want
official support for it, just contact Red Hat.

    Regards,
       Edson

2007/8/1, Robert Mertens <rmertens at bobm.org>:

> I would be interested in any feedback from users who have used / are using
> the JBoss Rules engine in a high performance environment.
>
> In order to justify the use of JBoss Rules / Drools, I need to be able to
> reference implementations that are using this rule engine in a production
> environment.
>
> The BRMS components that form part of release 4.0 allow it to be evaluated
> alongside Ilog Rules and Blaze Advisor; however, I really need some case
> studies that detail the numbers of facts and rules that are in production
> use, and any related stability issues.
>
> To date, I have come across the following links :
>
> http://legacy.drools.codehaus.org/Testimonies
> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/rules-users/2007-July/002097.html
> http://geekswithblogs.net/cyoung/articles/54022.aspx - Microsoft's Rule
> Engine Scalability Results - A comparison with Jess and Drools
>
> Does anybody know of any links to case studies, or performance
> /scalability
> tests?
>
> Thanks

  Edson Tirelli