[rules-users] Executing Rules in Sequential Mode

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Wed Aug 15 12:25:34 EDT 2007

If the rules and data don't push the system then you won't see a huge
amount. As the rules and data grow in size, but we are talking 50K facts
and thousands of rules to see a 350% increase. I'm surprised a RuleBase
with a 1000 rules only sees a 2% increase though, while not large its
still at the lower end of medium. If the data is small and the rules
well written then that could account for it.

but the following, which you are doing, is correct:

RuleBaseConfiguration conf  = new RuleBaseConfiguration();
conf.setSequential(true);
RuleBase  rb  = RuleBaseFactory.newRuleBase(conf);
StatelessSession session = rb.newStatelessSession();

Are you doing any function calls or reasoning that relies on outside
calculations? That could account for it, if the bottleneck is outside of
the engine reasoning, the advnatages gained will not be noticeable.

Mark