[rules-users] Cryptic error message: org.drools.compiler.FunctionError at 191394e

Scott Reed sreed at spamcop.net
Fri Aug 17 14:35:07 EDT 2007

I found the error by commenting out all the code and carefully uncommenting bits of it until the
error occurred again.

It turned out to be a function in the DRL that called Knowledgehelper.clearAgenda(). From reading
the Javadocs I assume this has been replaced by Workingmemory.clearAgenda(). With that change the
DRL compiled OK. I hate to whine, but couldn't we have deprecated the old method instead of just
removing it?

1)I would really appreciate it if someone could point me to a list of all the API changes that have
been made.

2)Is the plugin supposed to be working as it is, not telling me where there are errors?

Scott Reed's message received 8/17/2007 1:50 PM:
> It appears that the plugin is not recompiling the file when I edit it,
> but it says it is "Unable to parse rules to build Rete tree" if I select
> that view.
>
> I could really use some help here.
> Shouldn't the compiler be telling mere where the syntax errors are?
>
> Scott Reed's message received 8/17/2007 1:20 PM:
>> By the way, the Eclipse plugin is not complaining about this file.
>>
>> Scott Reed's message received 8/17/2007 1:15 PM:
>>> I have converted my 3.1 DRL to 4.0, think I have the dependencies
>>> worked out (removed antlr-30ea8.jar) and now I am getting a cryptic
>>> error message from the DRL compiler:
>>>
>>> Rules.getRuleBase. org.drools.compiler.FunctionError at 191394e
>>> org.drools.rule.InvalidRulePackage: