[rules-users] How to limit results from a collect statement

pentarious cristiano.giuffrida at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 04:47:43 EDT 2007

Ok, I'm still working on that, I'll publish my solution asap. In the meantime
it turns out our requirements need something more than that. We have an
ordered list of beans (items) and we have to be able to modify a specific
subset of the list (adding a discount). Now I tried to solve this problem by
working directly on the list of items. But I can't understand why this
doesn't work:
when
     $itemList : ArrayList() from collect( Item( category == "VIDEO" ) )
then
     ItemDiscount disc = new ItemDiscount(10);
     $myFirstItem = (Item)$itemList.get(0);
     $mySecondItem = (Item)$itemList.get(1);
     $myFirstItem.addDiscount(disc);
     $mySecondItem.addDiscount(disc);

After executing this rule it's like nothing happened! I mean no discount has
been added to the two items! The problem seems to be related to extracting
items from the list. Apparently, every time we get an item from the list, it
looses its link with the original item (I don't know if it's a copy of the
original item or whatever), so that every update doesn't affect the original
item any more. But of course that's what we're interested in! We want to
modify original items in the rule session. Am I missing something? Or Is it
a bug?

Regards,

CG