[rules-users] Functionality/Performance Test Results

Robert Crawford crawford at kloognome.com
Thu Aug 23 12:48:15 EDT 2007

Our users are asking to be able to specify custom validations in our
application. I've been undecided whether to use a rules engine or write
our own dynamic validation code.

While it's admittedly still in the "toy problem" stage, I tried using
drools in place of some existing hand-coded validation. The drools version
took the SAME amount of time.

Then I added another rule, to simulate the types of validations our users
want to add, and re-ran.

Again, SAME time.

Admittedly, database access was the big time consumer -- average of 6
seconds per unit of work, and about 15 units of work per test -- but it
was the same for both the rules-based and hand-coded validations.

Excellent work, everyone! You've made my life much, much simpler!